WELCOME TO HISTORIC OXFORD
Oxford is proud to have numerous structures of particular architectural significance which have been carefully preserved by their owners. Its two historic districts are an architectural mosaic of Greek Revival, Italianate, Victorian, and Queen Ann architecture built principally during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. These properties are primarily residential, but include churches, government buildings, banks, tobacco processing facilities and other non-residential buildings which radiate out from the 1838 Granville County Courthouse along the central intersection of Hillsboro, Williamsboro, College and Main Streets. However, the historic districts have a sense of cohesiveness which comes from the many streetscapes displaying similarity of scale and materials.
Oxford’s locally designated historic districts – the College Street and the Main Street historic districts – share the boundaries of the Historic District registered in 1988 in the National Register of Historic Places, an honorary and official listing of cultural resources administered by the U. S. Department of the Interior.
The City of Oxford established the College Street Historic District and the Main Street Historic District in 2008. By designating local Historic Districts, the City of Oxford recognized the cultural, historic, and economic value of the area and committed to conserve, protect and enhance this valuable resource. For this purpose, it created the Historic Preservation Commission which is responsible for ensuring that all exterior changes to structures within the Historic Districts are appropriate to the style and era of their architecture.