Water, Sewer & Garbage Billing

The City of Oxford establishes accounts and collects for water,sewer and garbage services for City residents.  A listing of other utility services available to residents of Oxford are located on the right side of this page.  

Our Annual Water Quality Report is also available for review.



New accounts must be set up in person at City Hall, 300 Williamsboro Street, Oxford, NC by completing the Water Sewer Service Application below in a fillable PDF file.  An application requires a deposit for service and a $25.00 connection fee.  The deposit will be based on service and whether the customer is located inside or outside the city limits.  The deposit schedule may be viewed or printed below.

When submitting application, please bring driver’s license and social security card.  Your social security number is required to establish service.  If renting, a copy of your lease or rental agreement is also required.  The City of Oxford will deny any application for services unless all amounts are paid in full from old accounts.

For additional information call us at 919-603-1120 or send an email to finance@oxfordnc.org.


Each year the City Council adopts a water and sewer rate. This rate is generally adopted with the annual budget ordinance effective July 1st of each year. However, this rate can be changed at any time during the year.


You may pay your bill one of three ways:
  1. Mailing a check to:  City of Oxford Water Department P.O. Box 506 Oxford, NC  27565  Include the bottom portion of your bill with payment.  If the bottom portion of the bill is not available, include the name and address of  the account
  2. Paying the bill in person at the City of Oxford Water Department office:  300 Williamsboro Street. Note:  please bring in both portions of you bill. 
  3. A deposit box is available near the front door of City Hall.
  4. Having your bank account  automatically drafted.  Drafts will occur on the 10th of the month.  To make arrangements for drafting, call (919) 603-1120.


Payment is due by the 10th of the month.  A past due charge of $10 or 1.5% whichever is greater will  be assessed for payment after the 12th. If payment is not made by the end of the 21st day of the month, service will be discontinued;  therefore an additional late fee of $50 for non-payment will be assessed.



You must notify this office to close your account when you are moving.  You will still be held liable for all water consumed at the service address until you notify this office and provide us with an address to send  your final bill to.


Water leaks are costly and wasteful. A standard hose accidentally left on can waste as much as 28,000 gallons in a 24 hour period. A continuously running toilet can use as much as 4,000 gallons of water per day. A slow faucet drip can use as much as 5,000 gallons per month. The City does not check on private property for water leaks.

Here is a list of several things you can check if you suspect that you have a water leak.

1. Always start checking for a leak with your toilets. Toilets are responsible for 95% of the water leaks in your home or business. If your toilet runs on after you flush it, you should get it repaired immediately. Every time your toilet runs it is like leaving on the faucet and letting the water run down the drain. Toilets can also have silent leaks. To determine if your toilet does leak, put food coloring in the tank at the back of the toilet. If the color shows up in the bowl without you flushing, it means that the water is leaking around the bottom flap in the tank.Both of these problems are cheap to repair if you fix them yourself and will save you money on your water bill.

2. If your toilets are not the problem, you should check around your home for dripping faucets, pipes and leaks around your hot water tank.

This information is for non-emergencies only.
For water or sewer problems, please call the Water Department at 919-603-1120 - Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, excluding holidays. After hours, call 919-691-2003.
For street problems, please call the Water Department at 919-603-1120 - Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, excluding holidays. After hours, call 919-691-0675.


To report a street light outage or problem please use the Requests & Inquiries Form located on the left side of the page or call City Hall at 919-603-1100, press 0.

You will need to include the number located on the pole (combination of  letters then numbers), and the address closest to the light pole.

historic, walkable, friendly